Vibramycin - Consumer Medicine Information
|Condition:||Acne, Actinomycosis, Amebiasis, Anthrax, Anthrax Prophylaxis, Bacterial Infection, Bartonellosis, Bronchiectasis, Bronchitis, Brucellosis, Bullous Pemphigoid, Cervicitis, Chancroid, Chlamydia Infection, Cholera, Cutaneous Bacillus anthracis, Ehrlichiosis, Enterocolitis, Epididymitis, Sexually Transmitted, Gastroenteritis, Granuloma Inguinale, Gonococcal Infection, Uncomplicated, Lymphogranuloma Venereum, Lyme Disease, Neurologic, Lyme Disease, Erythema Chronicum Migrans, Lyme Disease, Carditis, Lyme Disease, Arthritis, Lyme Disease, Malaria, Malaria Prevention (Malaria Prophylaxis), Melioidosis, Mycoplasma Pneumonia, Nongonococcal Urethritis, Ocular Rosacea, Pelvic Inflammatory Disease, Pemphigoid, Pemphigus, Periodontitis, Plague, Pleural Effusion, Pneumonia, Psittacosis, Prostatitis, Proctitis, Rabbit Fever (Tularemia), Rosacea, Rickettsial Infection, Skin or Soft Tissue Infection, Syphilis, Latent, Syphilis, Early, STD Prophylaxis, Tertiary Syphilis, Trachoma, Upper Respiratory Tract Infection, Urinary Tract Infection|
|Class:||Miscellaneous antimalarials, Tetracyclines|
|Ingredients:||doxycycline hyclate, FD & C Blue #1 dye, gelatin, magnesium stearate/sodium lauryl sulfate, microcrystalline cellulose, sulfur dioxide, titanium dioxide, aluminum hydroxide, ethylcellulose, FD & C Yellow #6, hypromellose, magnesium stearate/sodium lauryl sulfate, microcrystalline cellulose, propylene glycol, talc, titanium dioxide|
Doxycycline hyclate capsules USP
Vibra-Tabs Film Coated Tablets
Doxycycline hyclate tablets USP
What is Vibramycin/Vibra-Tabs Used For
- Vibramycin/Vibra-Tabs is used to treat infections caused by germs (bacteria).
- Vibramycin/Vibra-Tabs is NOT used to treat viral infections (e.g. the common cold).
How Does Vibramycin/Vibra-Tabs Work
- Vibramycin/Vibra-Tabs is an antibiotic. It stops the bacteria’s ability to make what it needs to grow new cells. This helps get rid of the infection.
What are the Ingredients in Vibramycin/Vibra-Tabs
- Vibramycin/Vibra-Tabs: doxycycline hyclate.
- Vibramycin: FD & C Blue #1 dye, gelatin, magnesium stearate/sodium lauryl sulfate, microcrystalline cellulose, sulfur dioxide, titanium dioxide.
- Vibra-Tabs: aluminum hydroxide, ethylcellulose, FD & C Yellow #6, hypromellose, magnesium stearate/sodium lauryl sulfate, microcrystalline cellulose, propylene glycol, talc, titanium dioxide.
Vibramycin/Vibra-Tabs Comes in the Following Dosage Forms
- Vibramycin: 100 mg doxycycline capsule (as doxycycline hyclate). The capsule is blue.
- Vibra-Tabs: 100 mg doxycycline tablet (as doxycycline hyclate). The tablet is light orange.
Do not Use Vibramycin/Vibra-Tabs if You
- are allergic to this drug.
- are allergic to any of the ingredients in these products. See also “What are the ingredients in Vibramycin/Vibra-Tabs” above.
- are allergic to tetracycline drugs (a class of antibiotics).
- have myasthenia gravis (a muscle disease).
- are taking isotretinoin (e.g. Accutane). See the next section, “To help avoid side effects and ensure proper use”.
To help avoid side effects and ensure proper use, talk to your healthcare professional before you take Vibramycin/Vibra-Tabs. Talk about any health conditions or problems you may have, including if you:
- are pregnant or plan to become pregnant.
- are breastfeeding or planning to breastfeed. Some of this drug may pass to your baby.
- Vibramycin/Vibra-Tabs are not recommended for women who are breastfeeding.
- have trouble swallowing.
- have health problems that affect or block the tube that carries food from your mouth to your stomach (esophagus).
Vibramycin/Vibra-Tabs should not be used in children under 8 years of age.
Tetracyclines such as Vibramycin/Vibra-Tabs may cause a serious side effect, benign intracranial hypertension (pressure around the brain) with symptoms such as headache, nausea, vomiting and vision loss. If this occurs, contact your doctor immediately. Do not use Vibramycin/Vibra-Tabs and isotretinoin together as they both can cause this effect.
Tell your healthcare professional about all the medicines you take, including any drugs, vitamins, minerals, natural supplements or alternative medicines.
Do not take Vibramycin/Vibra-Tabs with:
- barbiturates (drugs that help you sleep).
- phenytoin (a drug that controls epilepsy).
- carbamazepine (a drug that controls epilepsy).
- methoxyflurane (an anaesthetic).
Some drugs can make Vibramycin/Vibra-Tabs not work as well as it should. These include:
- drugs to thin the blood (oral anticoagulants).
- penicilin, a drug to treat infections.
- drugs to treat upset stomach that contain bismuth subsalicylate.
- drugs to treat heartburn that contain aluminum, calcium or magnesium.
- products that contain iron.
Do not take these drugs at the same time of day as Vibramycin/Vibra-Tabs.
Birth control pills may not work if you are on them while taking Vibramycin/Vibra-Tabs.
You should use other birth control while taking these products and for 7 days after stopping.
How to Take Vibramycin/Vibra-Tabs
- Take this medicine exactly as your doctor has told you to.
- Do not skip doses.
- Stop taking Vibramycin/Vibra-Tabs right away if you become pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you become pregnant.
- Do not use Vibramycin/Vibra-Tabs to treat any other medical problems unless your doctor tells you to.
- This medicine has been prescribed for you only. Do not share it with others. It may harm them, even if their symptoms are the same as yours.
- Do not stop taking this medicine until you have taken all of it, even if you feel better.
- Stopping this medicine early may:
- increase the risk that bacteria will become resistant to it.
- make this product not work as well in the future.
- Take your medicine when your doctor tells you.
- Take the amount of medicine your doctor tells you. Take your medicine with or after a meal.
- Take your medicine with a glass of water.
- Take your medicine while standing or sitting.
- After taking your medicine, wait at least 1 to 2 hours before lying down.
If you think you have taken too much Vibramycin/Vibra-Tabs, call your doctor, pharmacist, hospital, or Poison Control Centre right away. Do this even if there are no symptoms.
- If you forget to take Vibramycin/Vibra-Tabs take it as soon as you remember unless it is time to take the next dose.
- Continue taking the rest of the doses as your doctor has told you to.
- Do not take more than one dose at a time.
What are Possible Side Effects From Using Vibramycin/Vibra-Tabs
These are not all the possible side effects you may feel when taking Vibramycin/Vibra-Tabs. If you experience any side effects not listed here, contact your healthcare professional. Please also see Warnings and Precautions.
Clostridium difficile is a kind of bacteria that can be found in the bowel (gut). It can cause severe diarrhea and bowel inflammation (colitis) for some patients on antibiotics like Vibramycin/Vibra-Tabs. Symptoms are:
- bloody or watery diarrhea with or without fever.
- stomach cramps.
- stomach pain.
If this occurs, stop taking Vibramycin/Vibra-Tabs and contact your healthcare professional right away.
Other side effects that may occur while using Vibramycin/Vibra-Tabs:
- change in tooth colour.
- loss of appetite.
- stomach pain.
If these become bothersome, contact your doctor.
You may be sensitive to the sun when taking Vibramycin/Vibra-Tabs.
- You could get a sunburn.
- If you will be in direct sunlight protect your skin, use sunscreen.
- Avoid excessive sunlight.
- Avoid tanning beds.
- Stop using Vibramycin/Vibra-Tabs if you become sensitive to the sun. Symptoms of sun sensitivity include rash, blisters or skin break outs.
Serious Side Effects and What to do About Them
|Symptom/effect||Talk to your healthcare professional||Stop taking drug and get immediate medical help|
|Only if severe||In all cases|
|Pain or difficulty swallowing||✓|
|Hypersensitivity (allergic) reaction.|
- difficuly breathing.
- fast heartbeat.
- skin blistering.
|Autoimmune adverse drug reactions.|
- swelling of hands and feet.
- muscle and joint pain.
|Benign intracranial hypertension (high blood pressure in the brain).|
- visual disturbances (e.g. blurred vision, double vision, blank spots).
If you have a troublesome symptom or side effect that is not listed here or becomes bad enough to interfere with your daily activities, talk to your healthcare professional.
Reporting Side Effects
You can help improve the safe use of health products for Canadians by reporting serious and unexpected side effects to Health Canada. Your report may help to identify new side effects and change the product safety information.
3 ways to report:
- Online at MedEffect (www.hc-sc.gc.ca/dhp-mps/medeff/index-eng.php);
- By calling 1-866-234-2345 (toll-free);
- By completing a Consumer Side Effect Reporting Form and sending it by:
- Fax to 1-866-678-6789 (toll-free), or
- Mail to: Canada Vigilance Program
Health Canada, Postal Locator 0701E
Postage paid labels and the Consumer Side Effect Reporting Form are available at MedEffect.
NOTE: Contact your health professional if you need information about how to manage your side effects. The Canada Vigilance Program does not provide medical advice.
Store at a temperature of 15°C to 30°C.
Keep out of reach and sight of children.
If You Want More Information About Vibramycin/Vibra-Tabs
Talk to your healthcare professional.
Find the full product monograph that is prepared for healthcare professionals and includes this Patient Medication Information by visiting the Health Canada website (www.hc-sc.gc.ca/index-eng.php); the manufacturer’s website (www.pfizer.ca), or by calling 1-800-463-6001.