Vantas - Consumer Medicine Information
|Manufacture:||Endo Pharmaceuticals Inc.|
|Condition:||Prostate Cancer, Precocious Puberty|
|Class:||Gonadotropin releasing hormones, Hormones/antineoplastics|
|Ingredients:||histrelin acetate, 2 -hydro xyethyl methacrylate, trimethylo lpro pane, methyl benzo in, di-( 4 -tert-butylcyclo hexyl) pero xydicarbo nate, o cto xyno l-9|
(histrelin acetate) subcutaneous implant
What is VANTAS
VANTAS is a drug-delivery system that contains the medicine histrelin and is placed under the skin. It looks like a small, thin flexible tube. After it is placed under the skin, VANTAS delivers histrelin to your body continuously for 12 months. VANTAS may help relieve the symptoms of prostate cancer. VANTAS is not a cure for prostate cancer.
Who Should not Use VANTAS
Do not use VANTAS if you:
- are allergic to the medicine histrelin or other medicines called GnRH agonists.
- are a woman. VANTAS has not been studied in women and is not for use in women. VANTAS can harm the unborn baby in a woman who is pregnant or may become pregnant. VANTAS may cause a pregnant woman to lose her baby (miscarriage) if used while pregnant.
Before using VANTAS, tell your doctor about all the medicines you take, including prescription and non prescription medicines, vitamins and herbal supplements.
It is not known if VANTAS and other medicines can affect each other.
How is VANTAS Used
- VANTAS is placed under the skin of the inside of your upper arm. Your doctor will numb your arm, make a small cut (incision), and then place VANTAS under the skin. The cut will be closed with stitches and special surgical tape and covered with a bandage. Keep your arm clean and dry for 24 hours. Do not bathe or swim for 24 hours. Keep the bandage in place for a few days until the cut heals. Avoid heavy lifting and exercise for 7 days. Avoid bumping the site for a few days. Your doctor will give you complete instructions.
- After it is placed under the skin, VANTAS will give your body histrelin for 12 months. After 12 months, VANTAS must be removed. Your doctor may insert a new VANTAS at this time to continue your treatment.
- Your doctor will do blood tests to check on your response to treatment with VANTAS. For example, your doctor may check your prostate specific antigen (PSA) or testosterone levels.
What are the Possible Side Effects of VANTAS
VANTAS can cause an increase in testosterone during the first week after it is inserted. Your symptoms may get worse during the first few weeks of treatment. You may get new symptoms. Call your doctor right away if you:
- get new or worse bone pain
- get weakness or lose feeling in your legs
- have blood in your urine
- have trouble urinating or cannot urinate
VANTAS can cause a loss in bone mineral density. Low bone mineral density can lead to thinning of the bones (oesteoporosis).
The most common side effects of VANTAS are:
- hot flashes
- skin reactions at the implant insertion site
- testicles become smaller
- urination problems
- breasts become larger
- erectile dysfunction (impotence)
You may have some pain at the insertion site during and after VANTAS is inserted and removed. You may get some bruising and redness at the site. These usually go away without treatment within 2 weeks. Call your doctor if you have unusual bleeding, redness or pain at the insertion site.
These are not all the side effects of VANTAS. For more information, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
What Else do You Need to Know About VANTAS
VANTAS can be expelled from your body through the original incision site. This occurs infrequently. You may actually notice the system being expelled, or rarely, the system may be expelled without your noticing it. If you believe VANTAS has been expelled from your body, call your doctor. Also, remember to see your doctor for routine checks on your condition to ensure that VANTAS is present and functioning in your body.
VANTAS may be difficult to feel under your skin. If VANTAS cannot be felt under your skin at the time for removal, your doctor may order special tests, such as ultrasound or CT scan, in order to locate it for removal.
General Information About VANTAS
This leaflet summarizes the most important information about VANTAS. If you would like more information, talk with your doctor. You can ask your doctor or pharmacist for information about VANTAS that is written for health professionals.
Endo Pharmaceuticals Solutions Inc.
Malvern, PA 19355
VANTAS is a registered trademark of Endo Pharmaceuticals Solutions Inc.