TactuPump Forte - Consumer Medicine Information
|Condition:||Acne, Acne rosacea (Rosacea), Acne Vulgaris (Acne), Pimples (Acne)|
|Class:||Topical acne agents|
|Form:||Cream, gel, liniment or balm, lotion, ointment, etc|
|Ingredients:||Adapalene, benzoyl peroxide, hydrous, acrylamide/sodium acryloyldimethyltaurate copolymer, docusate sodium, edetate disodium, glycerin, isohexadecane, poloxamer 124, polysorbate 80, propylene glycol, sorbitan oleate, and purified water|
(adapalene and benzoyl peroxide 0.3%/2.5% w/w)
About This Medication
What the Medication is Used For
TACTUPUMP FORTE is used for the topical treatment of moderate to severe acne (acne vulgaris) on your face, chest and back, with comedones (clogged hair follicles- blackheads, whiteheads) and inflammatory papules and pustules (e.g. pimples), and with or without occasional nodules (painful bumps under the skin).
What It Does
TACTUPUMP FORTE works in two ways. The first is by unplugging your blocked oil glands and by preventing these plugs from forming in the first place. The second is a germ killing effect; it kills the P. acnes bacteria present in acne and helps reduce inflammation. Your acne should improve in 4-8 weeks and you should see more improvement as you continue to use TACTUPUMP FORTE.
When It Should not be Used
- If you are pregnant.
- If you have eczema or very irritated skin (such as seborrheic dermatitis) on your face, chest or back.
- If you are allergic to the medicinal ingredients in TACTUPUMP FORTE or any of its ingredients (see “What the important nonmedicinal ingredients are”).
What the Medicinal Ingredient Is
TACTUPUMP FORTE contains two medicinal ingredients:
- adapalene 3% w/w
- benzoyl peroxide 2.5% w/w
What The Important Nonmedicinal Ingredients Are
TACTUPUMP FORTE also contains acrylamide/sodium acryloyldimethyltaurate copolymer, docusate sodium, edetate disodium, glycerin, isohexadecane, poloxamer 124, polysorbate 80, propylene glycol, sorbitan oleate, and purified water.
What Dosage Forms It Comes in
TACTUPUMP FORTE topical gel is available in a 70 g bottle with a pump. Physician samples are available in a 15 g bottle with a pump.
Warnings and Precautions
Avoid using other potentially irritating topical products, such as soaps or cosmetics containing drying agents (e.g. alcohol) or other irritants (astringents, spices, etc.).
Avoid exposure to excessive sunlight as this may make your skin more sensitive to the product. In case of sunburn, allow the skin to heal before using TACTUPUMP FORTE.
Do not apply TACTUPUMP FORTE to cuts, abrasions, eczema or sunburned skin.
BEFORE you use TACTUPUMP FORTE talk to your doctor or pharmacist if:
- You are pregnant or planning to become pregnant. If you are pregnant you should not use TACTUPUMP FORTE. If you are a female of childbearing years, you should only use TACTUPUMP FORTE after consulting your doctor about contraceptive counselling.
- You are breastfeeding or planning to breastfeed.
- You intend go out in the sun. Before you do, you should use a good sunscreen (SPF 15 or higher) that is designed not to clog pores (non-comedogenic) and use protective clothing.
- You are using any other acne medications. TACTUPUMP FORTE should not be used with other acne medications unless your doctor tells you to use them.
- You are allergic to this drug or its ingredients or components of the container. Check with your doctor if you know you are allergic to certain ingredients or package components to ensure that you can use TACTUPUMP FORTE.
- If you develop a severe allergic reaction while taking TACTUPUMP FORTE, with reactions such as swollen mouth, throat, extremities, difficulty in breathing, rash or itching, stop using TACTUPUMP FORTE and seek medical attention.
- You receive hair-removal treatments. Do not use “waxing” as a way of removing unwanted hair in the areas where you will be applying TACTUPUMP FORTE, as this may increase your skin sensitivity.
- You are or have recently undergone skin procedures such as chemical hair treatments, chemical peels, dermabrasion or laser re-surfacing. Allow the skin to heal before using TACTUPUMP FORTE.
Interactions With This Medication
Drugs That may Interact With Tactupump Forte Include
Other acne products that have a drying effect on the skin, such as products that contain sulphur, resorcinol, or salicylic acid, as they may increase redness, dryness, and flaking. Talk to your physician about stopping your use of other acne products OR about changing the time of day that you use them. No drug interaction studies have been performed with TACTUPUMP FORTE.
Proper Use of This Medication
In patients 12 years of age and older: Use TACTUPUMP FORTE once a day at night before you go to bed.
You should first wash your face with a gentle cleanser and blot it dry with a soft towel – do not rub your face. Then, apply a thin film of TACTUPUMP FORTE to the areas where you have acne. Usually, four pea-sized amounts should be enough to cover your whole face (e.g. one on the forehead, chin and each cheek). DO NOT SPOT APPLY – cover the entire affected area.
Wash your hands after using TACTUPUMP FORTE.
Keep TACTUPUMP FORTE away from your eyes, lips, and the corners of your nose. If you get any in your eyes, flush your eyes with clean water right away. TACTUPUMP FORTE may bleach hair and coloured fabric. Use caution when applying TACTUPUMP FORTE near the hairline.
If skin irritation develops or worsens during treatment, stop use and contact your doctor. Your doctor may advise you to wait until the irritation goes down and then re -start the treatment only once every other day. If you tolerate this treatment after a few days, then resume the once- daily treatment schedule.
Use only the amount your doctor told you to use. Using more TACTUPUMP FORTE will not make it work better or faster.
In case of drug overdose, contact a health care practitioner, hospital emergency department or regional Poison Control Centre immediately, even if there are no symptoms.
In case of accidental oral ingestion, in addition to the boxed warning above, if you are in your childbearing years discuss with your doctor if a pregnancy test should be done.
If you miss a dose, it is not necessary to make up the missed dose. Just wait until the next evening and use TACTUPUMP FORTE as usual. Apply the same amount you usually would. Do not apply extra.
Side Effects and What to Do About Them
Do not be discouraged if TACTUPUMP FORTE causes some redness, dryness, itching, burning, or peeling when you first start to use it (2-4 weeks). This happens when your skin is adjusting to TACTUPUMP FORTE’ action of unplugging clogged pores. If these problems continue to happen or if they are getting worse, talk to your doctor. Your doctor may recommend the use of a moisturizer, a change in your dose, or a change to how often you use the medication.
Serious Side Effects, how Often They Happen and What to Do About Them
|Symptom / effect||Talk with your doctor or pharmacist||Stop taking drug and call your doctor or pharmacist|
|Only if severe||In all cases|
|Uncommon||Skin becomes very dry, itchy, red, swollen, blistered, or sunburned||✓|
This is not a complete list of side effects. For any unexpected effects while taking TACTUPUMP FORTE, contact your doctor or pharmacist.
How to Store It
TACTUPUMP FORTE should be stored at room temperature (15˚ to 25˚C). The product should be used within a period of 12 months after first opening. Any unused portion should be discarded 12 months after opening or at product expiry date (whichever comes first). Keep tightly closed. Keep out of reach and sight of children.
Reporting Suspected Side Effects
You can report any suspected adverse reactions associated with the use of health products to the Canada Vigilance Program by one of the following 3 ways:
- Report online at www.healthcanada.gc.ca/medeffect
- Call toll-free at 1-866-234-2345
- Complete a Canada Vigilance Reporting Form and:
- Fax toll-free to 1-866-678-6789, or
- Mail to: Canada Vigilance Program
Postal Locator 0701E
Postage paid labels, Canada Vigilance Reporting Forms and the adverse reaction reporting guidelines are available on the MedEffect Canada Web site at www.healthcanada.gc.ca/medeffect.
NOTE: Should you require information related to the management of side effects, contact your health professional. The Canada Vigilance Program does not provide medical advice.
This document plus the full product monograph, prepared for health professionals can be found at:
or by contacting the sponsor, Galderma Canada Inc.
Questions or Concerns: