Metronidazole 5mg Injection - Consumer Medicine Information
|Condition:||Amebiasis, Aspiration Pneumonia, Bacteremia, Bacterial Infection, Bacterial Vaginitis, Balantidium coli, Bone infection (Osteomyelitis), Crohn's Disease, Maintenance, Crohn's Disease, Acute, Clostridial Infection, Deep Neck Infection, Dental Abscess, Dracunculiasis, Diverticulitis, Dientamoeba fragilis, Endocarditis, Giardiasis, Helicobacter Pylori Infection, Intraabdominal Infection, Joint Infection, Lemierre's Syndrome, Meningitis, Nongonococcal Urethritis, Pelvic Inflammatory Disease, Peritonitis, Pneumonia, Pseudomembranous Colitis, Pouchitis, Skin or Soft Tissue Infection, Surgical Prophylaxis, STD Prophylaxis, Trichomoniasis|
|Class:||Amebicides, Miscellaneous antibiotics|
|Form:||Liquid solution, Intravenous (IV)|
|Ingredients:||metronidazole, citric acid, nitrogen, sodium chloride, sodium phosphate, water for injection|
METRONIDAZOLE 5MG/ML INJECTION
About this medication
What the medication is used for
Metronidazole 5mg/ml Injection is used to:
- treat infections of the abdominal cavity, brain or lung.
- prevent infections in patients having colorectal surgery.
What it does
Metronidazole 5mg/ml Injection kills the bacteria that cause the infection.
When it should not be used
Do not use Metronidazole 5mg/ml Injection and tell your doctor if you:
- are allergic (hypersensitive) to metronidazole
- are allergic (hypersensitive) to any of the nonmedicinal ingredient in the formulation (see “What the nonmedicinal ingredients are) or components of the VIAFLEX plastic container
- have a disease of the nervous system
- have a history of blood-disorders, hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid gland) or hypoadrenalism (underactive adrenal gland)
What the medicinal ingredient is
What the nonmedicinal ingredients are
Water for Injection
What dosage forms it comes in
Metronidazole 5mg/ml Injection, solution
Warnings and precautions
BEFORE receiving Metronidazole 5mg/ml Injection talk to your doctor, pharmacist or nurse if you:
- have liver problems
- have an active or chronic severe disease of the nervous system
- have any blood disorder (e.g., transient eosinophilia, leukopenia or other)
- have a history of edema (swelling of the legs, ankles and/or feet)
- are pregnant or plan to get pregnant
- are breastfeeding, or plan to breastfeed, as metronidazole is excreted in human breast milk.
- are less than 18 years of age
Interactions with this medication
As with most medicines, interactions with other drugs are possible. Tell your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist about all the medicines you take, including drugs prescribed by other doctors, vitamins, minerals, natural supplements, or alternative medicines.
The following may interact with Metronidazole 5mg/ml Injection
- Medicines used to thin the blood such as warfarin (Coumadin)
- Phenobarbital or Phenytoin (Dilantin)
- Busulfan (Myleran)
Do not drink any alcohol while you are receiving Metronidazole 5mg/ml Injection. Consumption of alcohol with metronidazole may cause headaches and flushing.
Proper use of this medication
Usual Adult Dose
The appropriate dose is selected by the Health Care Professional and is administered through a vein.
|In case of drug overdose, contact a health care practitioner, hospital emergency department or regional Poison Control Centre immediately, even if there are no symptoms.|
If you miss your scheduled infusion, contact your doctor or nurse as soon as possible to schedule your next treatment.
Side effects and what to do about them
Side effects may include:
- Nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, constipation
- Indigestion, loss of appetite
- abdominal pain
- dry mouth, furred tongue
- unpleasant metallic taste
- dark urine
- painful urination
- trouble sleeping, feeling
- skin rash and itching
Metronidazole 5mg/ml Injection can cause abnormal blood test results. Your doctor will decide when to perform blood tests and will interpret the results
Serious side effects, how often theyhappen and what to do about them
|Symptom / effect||Talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist||Stop taking drug and seek immediate medical help|
|Only if severe||In all cases|
|Allergic Reaction: rash, blisters, mouth sores, hives, swelling of the face, lips, tongue or throat, difficulty swallowing or breathing, fever||√|
|Chest pain, unusually rapid, strong, or irregular heartbeat.||√|
|Eye disorders: blurred vision, vision loss||√|
|Stomach pain, diarrhea which can be bloody, fever||√|
|Nervous System Disorders: inability to coordinate voluntary movements, problems using your arms and legs, feel confused, seizures, stiff neck associated with headache, dizziness, drowsiness and insomnia||√|
|Numbness, burning,tingling, pain in the hands and/or feet, sensitivity to touch||√|
|Vaginal Yeast Infection: vaginal dryness, burning and discharge||√|
|Inflammation at the needle site (thrombophlebitis): Pain, burning, swelling||√|
This is not a complete list of side effects. For any unexpected side effects while taking Metronidazole 5mg/ml Injection, contact your doctor, nurse or pharmacist.
How to store it
Store at room temperature (15° to 25°C).
Keep out of reach and sight of children.
Reporting suspected side effects
You can report any suspected adverse reactions associated with the use of health products to the Canada Vigilance Program by one of the following 3 ways:
- Report online at www.healthcanada.gc.ca/medeffect
- Call toll-free at 1-866-234-2345
- Complete a Canada Vigilance Reporting Form and:
- Fax toll-free to 1-866-678-6789, or
- Mail to: Canada Vigilance Program
Postal Locator 0701E
Ottawa, ON K1A 0K9
Postage paid labels, Canada Vigilance Reporting Forms and the adverse reaction reporting guidelines are available on the MedEffect™ Canada Web site at www.healthcanada.gc.ca/medeffect.
NOTE: Should you require information related to the management of side effects, contact your health professional. The Canada Vigilance Program does not provide medical advice.
This document plus the full product monograph, prepared for health professionals can be obtained by contacting the sponsor, Baxter Corporation, at: