Memantine Hydrochloride Tablet - Consumer Medicine Information
|Manufacture:||Dr. Reddy's Laboratories, Inc.|
|Class:||Miscellaneous central nervous system agents|
|Ingredients:||memantine hydrochloride, colloidal silicon dioxide, corn starch, lactose monohydrate, magnesium stearate, povidone, talc|
What is Memantine Hydrochloride
Memantine Hydrochloride is a prescription medicine used for the treatment of moderate to severe dementia in people with Alzheimer’s disease. Memantine Hydrochloride belongs to a class of medicines called NMDA (N-methyl-D-aspartate) inhibitors.
It is not known if Memantine Hydrochloride Tablets are safe and effective in children.
Who Should not Take Memantine Hydrochloride Tablets
Do not take Memantine Hydrochloride Tablets if you are allergic to memantine or any of the ingredients in Memantine Hydrochloride Tablets. See the end of this leaflet for a complete list of ingredients in Memantine Hydrochloride Tablets.
What Should I Tell My Doctor Before Taking Memantine Hydrochloride Tablets
Before you take Memantine Hydrochloride Tablets, tell your doctor if you:
- have or have had seizures
- have or have had problems passing urine daf
- have or have had bladder or kidney problems
- have liver problems
- have any other medical conditions
- are pregnant or plan to become pregnant. It is not known if Memantine Hydrochloride will harm your unborn baby.
- are breastfeeding or plan to breastfeed. It is not known if Memantine Hydrochloride passes into your breast milk. You and your doctor should decide if you will take Memantine Hydrochloride Tablets or breastfeed.
Tell your doctor about all the medicines you take, including prescription and nonprescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.
Taking Memantine Hydrochloride with certain other medicines may affect each other. Taking Memantine Hydrochloride with other medicines can cause serious side effects.
Especially tell your doctor if you take:
- other NMDA antagonists such as amantadine, ketamine, and dextromethorphan
- medicines that make your urine alkaline such as carbonic anhydrase inhibitors and sodium bicarbonate
Ask your doctor or pharmacist for a list of these medicines, if you are not sure.
Know the medicines you take. Keep a list of them to show your doctor and pharmacist when you get a new medicine.
How Should I Take Memantine Hydrochloride Tablets
- Your doctor will tell you how much Memantine Hydrochloride to take and when to take it.
- Your doctor may change your dose if needed.
- Memantine Hydrochloride Tablets can be taken with food or without food.
- Do not use any tablets of Memantine Hydrochloride that are damaged or show signs of tampering.
- If you forget to take one dose of Memantine Hydrochloride Tablets, do not double up on the next dose. You should take only the next dose as scheduled.
- If you have forgotten to take Memantine Hydrochloride for several days, you should not take the next dose until you talk to your doctor.
- If you take too much Memantine Hydrochloride Tablets, call your doctor or poison control center right away, or go to the nearest hospital emergency room.
What are the Possible Side Effects of Memantine Hydrochloride Tablets
Memantine Hydrochloride Tablets may cause side effects, including:
The most common side effects of Memantine Hydrochloride Tablets include:
These are not all the possible side effects of Memantine Hydrochloride Tablets. For more information, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
How Should I Store Memantine Hydrochloride Tablets
- Store Memantine Hydrochloride Tablets at room temperature between 20°-25°C (68°-77°F).
What are the Ingredients in Memantine Hydrochloride Tablets
Memantine Hydrochloride USP
colloidal silicon dioxide, corn starch, lactose monohydrate, magnesium stearate, povidone and talc. In addition the following inactive ingredients are also present as components of the film coat: hypromellose, polyethylene glycol, titanium dioxide, FD & C Yellow #6 and FD & C blue #2 (5 mg tablets), black iron oxide (10 mg tablets).
Keep Memantine Hydrochloride Tablets and all medicines out of the reach of children.
General Information About the Safe and Effective Use of Memantine Hydrochloride Tablets
Medicines are sometimes prescribed for purposes other than those listed in a Patient Information leaflet. Do not take Memantine Hydrochloride Tablets for a condition for which it was not prescribed. Do not give Memantine Hydrochloride Tablets to other people, even if they have the same condition. It may harm them.
This Patient Information leaflet summarizes the most important information about Memantine Hydrochloride Tablets. If you would like more information, talk with your doctor. You can ask your doctor or pharmacist for information about Memantine Hydrochloride Tablets that was written for healthcare professionals.
For more information call 1-888-375-3784.
This Patient Information has been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
To reorder additional Patient Information sheets contact Dr. Reddy’s Customer Service at
Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories Limited
Bachupally – 500 090 INDIA