Famciclovir (fam sye' kloe vir) Tablets – Consumer Medicine Information
|Condition:||Cold Sores (Herpes Simplex Labialis), Herpes Simplex, Mucocutaneous/Immunocompetent Host, Herpes Simplex, Mucocutaneous/Immunocompromised Host, Herpes Simplex, Suppression, Herpes Zoster|
|Ingredients:||Famciclovir, Croscarmellose Sodium, Crospovidone, Hypromellose 2910, Lactose Monohydrate, Magnesium Stearate, Polyethylene Glycols 6000, Titanium Dioxide|
Read this Patient Information before you start taking famciclovir tablets and each time you get a refill. There may be new information. This information does not take the place of talking with your healthcare provider about your medical condition or treatment.
What are famciclovir tablets?
Famciclovir tablets are a prescription antiviral medicine used to:
- treat outbreaks of cold sores (fever blisters) in healthy adults.
- treat outbreaks of genital herpes in healthy adults.
- decrease the number of outbreaks of genital herpes in healthy adults.
- treat outbreaks of herpes simplex lesions in or around the mouth, genitals, and anal area in people infected with HIV.
It is not known if famciclovir tablets are safe and effective in children younger than 18 years of age.
Famciclovir tablets are not a cure for herpes. It is not known if famciclovir tablets can stop the spread of herpes to others. If you are sexually active, you can pass herpes to your partner even if you are taking famciclovir tablets. Herpes can be transmitted even if you do not have active symptoms. You should continue to practice safer sex to lower the chances of spreading genital herpes to others. Do not have sexual contact with your partner during an outbreak of genital herpes or if you have any symptoms of genital herpes. Use a condom made of latex or polyurethane when you have a sexual contact. Ask your healthcare provider for more information about safer sex practices.
Who should not take famciclovir tablets?
Do not take famciclovir tablets if you are allergic to any of its ingredients or to penciclovir cream. See the end of this Patient Information leaflet for a complete list of ingredients in Famciclovir tablets.
What should I tell my healthcare provider before taking famciclovir tablets?
Before you start taking famciclovir tablets, tell your healthcare provider if you:
- have kidney or liver problems
- have a rare genetic problem with galactose intolerance, a severe lactase deficiency or you do not absorb glucose-galactose (malabsorption)
- are pregnant or planning to become pregnant. It is not known if famciclovir tablets will harm your unborn baby
- are breastfeeding or plan to breastfeed
Tell your healthcare provider about all the medicines you take, including prescription and nonprescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements. Especially tell your healthcare provider if you take:
- any other medicines and products you use to treat herpes outbreaks
- probenecid (Probalan)
Know the medicines you take. Keep a list of them with you to show to your healthcare provider and pharmacist every time you get a new medicine.
How should I take famciclovir tablets?
- Take famciclovir tablets exactly as prescribed
- Your healthcare provider will tell you how many famciclovir tablets to take and when to take them. Your dose of famciclovir tablets and how often you take it may be different depending on your condition
- Famciclovir tablets can be taken with or without food
- It is important for you to finish all of the medicine as prescribed, even if you begin to feel better
- Your symptoms may continue even after you finish all of your famciclovir tablets. This does not mean that you need more medicine, since you have already finished a full course of Famciclovir tablets and it will continue to work in your body. Talk to your healthcare provider if you have any questions about your condition and your treatment
What are the possible side effects of famciclovir tablets?
The most common side effects of famciclovir tablets include:
- Talk to your healthcare provider if you have any side effect that bothers you or that does not go away.
These are not all the possible side effects of famciclovir tablets. Ask your healthcare provider or pharmacist for more information.
Call your healthcare provider for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
How should I store famciclovir tablets?
- Store famciclovir tablets at 20° to 25°C (68° and 77°F) [See USP Controlled Room Temperature].
Keep famciclovir tablets and all medicines out of reach from children.
General information about famciclovir tablets
Medicines are sometimes prescribed for purposes other than those listed in Patient Information leaflets. Do not use famciclovir tablets for a condition for which it was not prescribed. Do not give famciclovir tablets to other people, even if they have the same symptoms you have. It may harm them.
This leaflet summarizes the most important information about famciclovir tablets. If you would like more information, talk with your healthcare provider. Your healthcare provider or pharmacist can give you information about famciclovir tablets that is written for health professionals. For more information, call 1-866-604-3268.
What are the ingredients in famciclovir tablets?
Active ingredient: famciclovir
Inactive ingredients: croscarmellose sodium, crospovidone, hypromellose 2910, lactose monohydrate, magnesium stearate, polyethylene glycols 6000 and titanium dioxide.