ClindaTech - Consumer Medicine Information
|Condition:||Acne, Acne Vulgaris (Acne)|
|Class:||Topical acne agents|
|Ingredients:||clindamycin hydrochloride, , ethanol, dioctyl malate and purified water|
Acne treatmen topical solution
Clindamycin Hydrochloride 1%
Please read this leaflet carefully before you start ClindaTech treatment, even if you have used ClindaTech before. This leaflet answers some common questions in relation to ClindaTech. It does not contain all the available information. If you have any questions or concerns about applying this medicine, please ask your doctor or pharmacist. Keep this leaflet with your medicine. You may need to read it again.
ClindaTech is the brand name of a skin preparation containing clindamycin hydrochloride and a moisturiser. ClindaTech Topical Solution is a clear solution packed in a bottle with an outer carton.
It contains clindamycin hydrochloride 1% (active ingredient), ethanol, dioctyl malate and purified water.
It is available in two pack types, i.e. 50mL and 100mL.
What ClindaTech is used for
Clindamycin belongs to a group of medicines called antibiotics. It is available only with a doctor’s prescription. Topical clindamycin is used on the skin to treat certain forms of acne. It works by decreasing acne lesions and / or stopping the growth of skin bacteria which cause acne. It is usually used by itself, but your doctor may prescribe one or more other medicines that are applied on the skin or taken by mouth. Your doctor may also prescribe ClindaTech for another purpose. Therefore, ask your doctor if you have any questions why ClindaTech has been prescribed for your conditions.
Before you use ClindaTech
Ask your doctor or pharmacist about this medicine.
DO NOT USE CLINDATECH IF:
- you are allergic to medicines that contain clindamycin including those clindamycins taken by mouth or by injection (e.g. Dalacin) or lincomycin (e.g. Lincocin).
- you are allergic to any other ingredients in this formulation.
- you have a history of inflammatory diseases of the intestines or the large bowel (colitis, including ulcerative colitis, colitis caused by antibiotics, pseudomembranous colitis, or enteritis).
- you are breastfeeding or plan to breastfeed.
- the expiry date printed on the pack is passed.
Before you start using
YOU MUST TELL YOUR DOCTOR IF:
- you have a history of stomach or intestinal diseases.
- you have any medical problems especially affecting the liver or kidney.
- you are pregnant or plan on becoming pregnant during treatment.
- you have very sensitive skin.
- you have any skin disorders.
- you are taking any medicines, especially
- acne preparations;
- antibiotic preparations;
- preparations containing clindamycin;
- erythromycins or tetracycline; preparations containing an abrasive agent (e.g. resorcinol, sulphur, benzoyl peroxide, tretinoin or salicylic acid);
- skin preparations containing high concentrations of alcohol (e.g. astringents, after-shave lotion).
Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking any other medicines or specific skin products. Your doctor or pharmacist can help you avoid products that may cause problems.
HOW TO USE CLINDATECH
Follow exactly the instruction of your doctor about when and how to use ClindaTech treatment.
The usual treatment consists of applying a thin film no more than twice daily, once in the morning and once at bedtime. It should be applied to the skin areas being affected as well as those
likely to be affected by acne, not just the pimples themselves.
Your doctor would decide the best treatment according to your skin conditions and response. Carefully follow the instructions of your doctor and keep using this medicine for the entire course even if the pimples clear up after a few days. However, do not apply more often, or for a longer time than what your doctor has told you.
If your acne does not improve after a few weeks, or if it becomes worse, check with your doctor or pharmacist. The treatment may take up to 8 to 12 weeks before a clear improvement takes place.
HOW TO APPLY CLINDATECH
Before applying this medicine, wash the affected areas thoroughly with warm water and a neutral or pH balanced mild soap, rinse well and pat dry. Shave if needed. Remove any make-up or cosmetics.
Since the medicine contains alcohol, it may irritate freshly washed or shaved skin in some patients. After washing or shaving, allow 15 to 30 minutes before applying the solution.
ClindaTech comes in a bottle with an applicator, which should be used to apply the medicine directly to the skin.
Tilt the bottle and press the tip firmly against your skin. Using a dabbing motion instead of a rolling motion, allow the solution to flow through the applicator tip onto the skin.
If the flow is too slow, increase the pressure slightly until the solution flows more freely. If the applicator tip becomes dry, turn the bottle upside down and press the tip several times to moisten it.
Spread the medicine to the affected areas over the entire face. Avoid applying to open wounds, inflamed skin, eyes or any mucous membranes.
IF YOU FORGET TO APPLY CLINDATECH
Apply the medicine as soon as you remember. However, if it is almost time for your next application, skip the dose that you missed and go on to the next application. Do not apply a double dose.
It is important that you do not miss any doses of your topical antibiotic treatment. Ask your pharmacist for some guidance if you have trouble remembering when to apply your treatment.
USING TOO MUCH SOLUTION
Let your doctor know even if you have not had any signs of skin discomfort.
While you are using ClindaTech
THINGS YOU MUST NOT DO:
- Do not swallow this medicine.
- Do not use on open wounds.
- Do not apply to the eyes, around eyelid areas, mouth, lips, mucosa or angles of the nose.
- If the medicine does get in the eyes, wash them out immediately but carefully with large amounts of cool, clean water. If the eyes still burn or become painful, contact your doctor immediately.
- Do not apply more often than or longer time than what your doctor told you because it may cause your skin to become too dry.
Do not take this medicine by mouth. If you or someone else accidentally swallow some solution, contact a doctor or go to the casualty department at your nearest hospital immediately.
THINGS YOU MUST BE CAREFUL OF
- Dry Skin
- Skin Medications
- Abrasive / Alcoholic Preparations
If your skin becomes unnaturally dry or irritated even under normal use, check with your doctor or pharmacist about adjusting the doses or temporarily discontinue application.
Do not use any skin preparations of medicated dressings on the same affected areas unless your doctor advised you to do so. If your doctor has prescribed other medicines for applying to the skin, check with your doctor or pharmacist when and how you should apply these medicines.
Avoid using any peeling agents (e.g. resorcinol, salicylic acid) or preparations that contain high concentrations of alcohol (astringents).
Check with your doctor or pharmacist which cosmetics and perfumed toiletries you can use. Use a mild bland soap, or any suitable soap-free cleansers as advised by your pharmacist. It is best not to use cosmetics too heavily or too often because this may make your acne worse. Wash off any cosmetics every time before you apply ClindaTech.
Like other medicines, ClindaTech may cause some unwanted effects along with its beneficial effects. Most of these side effects are mild and usually temporary. Check with your doctor or pharmacist as soon as possible if you have any problems while you are applying the topical solution. Do this even if you do not think these problems are related to the medicine or are not listed in this leaflet.
Tell your doctor if you notice any of the following side effects and they worry you:
- dry skin peeling redness
- skin rashes oiliness
- skin irritation
- stinging or burning feeling
- mild stomach upset
Stop applying ClindaTech and tell your doctor immediately if you have any of the following as you may need urgent medical care:
- watery diarrhoea
- bloody diarrhoea
- abdominal or stomach cramps
- nausea or vomiting
Do not take any diarrhoea medicines without first checking with your doctor.
Other side effects not listed above may occur in some patients. If you notice any other side effects, tell your doctor or pharmacist.
- Keep ClindaTech in a cool place below 30oC. Do not freeze or expose it to excessive heat and direct light.
- Do not leave it in the car on a hot day.
- Keep it where children or pets cannot reach it.
- Discard the product three months after opening. Do not keep outdated medicine or medicine no longer in use. Ask your pharmacist what to do with any unused medicine.
Contact your doctor, pharmacist or the sponsor for any further information.