Asmanex HFA - Consumer Medicine Information
|Manufacture:||Merck and Co., Inc.|
|Ingredients:||mometasone furoate, hydrofluoroalkane (HFA-227: 1,1,1,2,3,3,3-heptafluoropropane), ethanol, oleic acid|
ASMANEX HFA (AZ-ma-neks)
What is ASMANEX HFA
ASMANEX HFA is an inhaled prescription medicine used as maintenance treatment for the prevention and control of asthma symptoms in people 12 years of age and older.
- ASMANEX HFA is not used to treat sudden severe symptoms of asthma.
- ASMANEX HFA should not be used as a rescue inhaler.
- It is not known if ASMANEX HFA is safe and effective in children less than 12 years of age.
Who should not use ASMANEX HFA
Do not use ASMANEX HFA:
- to treat sudden severe symptoms of asthma
- if you are allergic to mometasone furoate or any of the ingredients in ASMANEX HFA. See the end of this Patient Information leaflet for a complete list of ingredients in ASMANEX HFA.
What should I tell my doctor before and during treatment with ASMANEX HFA
Before you use ASMANEX HFA, tell your healthcare provider if you:
- have liver problems have osteoporosis
- have an immune system problem
- have eye problems such as increased pressure in the eye, glaucoma, or cataracts are allergic to any medicines
- are exposed to chickenpox or measles have or had tuberculosis (TB)
- have any other medical problems
- are pregnant or planning to become pregnant. It is not known if ASMANEX HFA may harm your unborn baby.
- are breastfeeding. It is not known if ASMANEX HFA passes into your breast milk and if it can harm your baby. You and your healthcare provider should decide if you will either take ASMANEX HFA or breastfeed.
Tell your healthcare provider about all the medicines you take, including prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.
ASMANEX HFA may affect the way other medicines work, and other medicines may affect how ASMANEX HFA works.
Especially, tell your healthcare provider if you take antifungal medicines or anti-HIV medicines such as:
Ask your healthcare provider if you are not sure if any of your medicines are the kinds listed above.
Know the medicines you take. Keep a list and show it to your healthcare provider and pharmacist each time you get a new medicine.
How should I use ASMANEX HFA
Read the step-by-step instructions for using ASMANEX HFA in the Instructions for Use.
- Use ASMANEX HFA exactly as prescribed. Do not use ASMANEX HFA more often than prescribed.
- You must use ASMANEX HFA regularly. It may take 1 week or longer after you start using ASMANEX HFA for your asthma symptoms to get better. Do not stop using ASMANEX HFA even if you are feeling better, unless your healthcare provider tells you to.
- Do not change or stop using ASMANEX HFA or other asthma medicines used to control or treat your breathing problems unless told to do so by your healthcare provider. Your healthcare provider will change your medicines as needed.
- ASMANEX HFA comes in 2 strengths. Your healthcare provider has prescribed the strength that is best for you. Pay attention to the differences between ASMANEX HFA and your other inhaled medicines, including their prescribed use and the way they look.
- Take ASMANEX HFA every day, with 2 puffs in the morning and 2 puffs in the evening.
- If you miss a dose of ASMANEX HFA, skip your missed dose and take your next dose at your regular time. Do not take ASMANEX HFA more often or use more puffs than you have been prescribed.
- If you take more ASMANEX HFA than your healthcare provider has prescribed, call your healthcare provider right away. ASMANEX HFA does not relieve sudden asthma symptoms. Always have a rescue inhaler with you to treat sudden
- symptoms. Use your rescue inhaler if you have breathing problems between doses of ASMANEX HFA. If you do not have a rescue inhaler, call your healthcare provider to have a rescue inhaler prescribed for you.
- Do not use the ASMANEX HFA canister or actuator with any other medicines. Do not use any other medicine canister or actuator with ASMANEX HFA.
- Rinse your mouth with water after each dose (2 puffs) of ASMANEX HFA. This will help to lessen the chance of getting a yeast infection (thrush) in your mouth and throat.
- Do not spray ASMANEX HFA in your eyes. If you accidentally get ASMANEX HFA in your eyes, rinse your eyes with water and if redness or irritation continues, call your healthcare provider.
- Call your healthcare provider or get medical care right away if:
- your breathing problems worsen with ASMANEX HFA
- you need to use your rescue inhaler more often than usual
- your rescue inhaler does not work as well for you at relieving symptoms
- you need to use 4 or more inhalations of your rescue inhaler for 2 or more days in a row
- you use 1 whole canister of your rescue inhaler within 8 weeks
- your peak flow meter results decrease. Your healthcare provider will tell you the numbers that are right for you.
- you have asthma and your symptoms do not improve after using ASMANEX HFA regularly for 1 to 2 weeks
What are the possible side effects of ASMANEX HFA
ASMANEX HFA can cause serious side effects, including
- Thrush in your mouth and throat. You may develop a yeast infection (Candida albicans) in your mouth or throat. Rinse your mouth with water after using ASMANEX HFA to help prevent an infection in your mouth or throat.
- Immune system effects and a higher chance for infections.
Tell your healthcare provider about any signs of infection such as:
- feeling tired
- body aches
- Adrenal insufficiency that can lead to death can happen when you stop taking oral corticosteroid medicines and start using inhaled corticosteroid medicines. Adrenal insufficiency can also happen in people who take higher doses of ASMANEX HFA than recommended over a long period of time. When your body is under stress such as from fever, trauma (such as a car accident), infection, or surgery, adrenal insufficiency can get worse. Symptoms of adrenal insufficiency include:
- feeling tired or exhausted (fatigue)
- lack of energy
- low blood pressure (hypotension)
- nausea and vomiting
- dizziness or feeling faint
- Increased wheezing right after taking ASMANEX HFA. Always have a rescue inhaler with you to treat sudden wheezing.
- Serious allergic reactions. Stop taking ASMANEX HFA and call your healthcare provider or get emergency medical care right away if you get any of the following symptoms of a serious allergic reaction:
- swelling, including swelling of the face, mouth, and tongue
- breathing problems
- Lower bone mineral density. This may be a problem for people who already have a higher chance for low bone density (osteoporosis).
- Slowed growth in children. A child’s growth should be checked often.
- Eye problems including glaucoma and cataracts. You should have regular eye exams while using ASMANEX HFA.
The most common side effects of ASMANEX HFA include
- inflammation of the nose and throat (nasopharyngitis)
- flu infection (influenza)
- inflammation of the sinuses (sinusitis)
Other side effects
Worsening asthma or sudden asthma attacks have been reported with the use of inhaled mometasone furoate.
Tell your healthcare provider about any side effect that bothers you or that does not go away.
These are not all the side effects with ASMANEX HFA. Ask your healthcare provider or pharmacist for more information. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
How should I store ASMANEX HFA
- Store ASMANEX HFA at room temperature between 68°F to 77°F (20°C to 25°C).
- The contents of your ASMANEX HFA are under pressure. Do not puncture. Do not use or store near heat or open flame. Storage above 120°F may cause the canister to burst.
- Do not throw container into fire or incinerator.
- Keep ASMANEX HFA and all medicines out of the reach of children.
General Information about the safe and effective use of ASMANEX HFA
Medicines are sometimes prescribed for purposes other than those listed in a Patient Information leaflet. Do not use ASMANEX HFA for a condition for which it was not prescribed. Do not give your ASMANEX HFA to other people, even if they have the same condition that you have. It may harm them.
This Patient Information leaflet summarizes the most important information about ASMANEX HFA. If you would like more information, talk with your healthcare provider. You can ask your healthcare provider or pharmacist for information about ASMANEX HFA that was written for healthcare professionals.
For more information about ASMANEX HFA go to www.ASMANEX.com, or to report side effects call 1-877-888-4231.
What are the ingredients in ASMANEX HFA
Hydrofluoroalkane (HFA-227: 1,1,1,2,3,3,3-heptafluoropropane), ethanol and oleic acid.