Aleve - Consumer Medicine Information
|Condition:||Ankylosing Spondylitis, Back Pain, Bursitis, Costochondritis, Chronic Myofascial Pain, Dysautonomia, Diffuse Idiopathic Skeletal Hyperostosis, Fever, Frozen Shoulder, Gout, Acute, Headache, Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis, Muscle Pain, Neck Pain, Osteoarthritis, Pain, Period Pain (Dysmenorrhea), Rheumatoid Arthritis, Sciatica, Spondylolisthesis, Tendonitis|
|Class:||Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory agents|
|Ingredients:||naproxen sodium, FD&C Blue No. 1, gelatin, glycerin, hypromellose, lactic acid, mannitol, polyethylene glycol, povidone, propylene glycol, sorbitan, sorbitol, titanium dioxide, water|
(Naproxen Sodium Tablets, USP, 220 mg)
About this Medication
What the medication is used for
Trust ALEVE Liquid Gels for providing fast and effective relief of pain such as arthritis pain and pain of inflammation. ALEVE LIQUID GELS relieves arthritic conditions such as stiffness, pain experienced day or night due to arthritis or stiffness of rheumatic conditions. ALEVE Liquid Gels also relieves joint and body pain, muscular ache, muscle sprains and strains, backache, minor aches, headaches, migraine pain, menstrual cramps, pain of minor surgery, toothaches, pain of dental extractions, pain associated with the common cold and reduces fever. Clinical studies show long lasting relief for up to 12 hours.
What it does
ALEVE Liquid Gels is a pain reliever and fever reducer. ALEVE Liquid Gels works both at the site of pain and in your central nervous system. ALEVE Liquid Gels starts to work fast and treats pain where it starts.
When it should not be used
Do not take ALEVE Liquid Gels if you
- are allergic to naproxen, naproxen sodium, or any ingredient in the formulation
- are allergic to acetylsalicylic acid (ASA), other salicylates or other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs)
- have an active peptic ulcer, a history of recurrent ulceration, or active gastrointestinal bleeding
- have inflammatory bowel disease
- have liver disease (active or severe)
- have kidney disease (severe or worsening)
- are in your third trimester of pregnancy
What the medicinal ingredient is
Naproxen sodium 220 mg
What the important non-medicinal ingredients are
FD&C Blue No. 1, gelatin, glycerin, hypromellose, lactic acid, mannitol, polyethylene glycol, povidone, propylene glycol, sorbitan, sorbitol, titanium dioxide, water
What dosage forms it comes in
Capsule: 220 mg
Warnings and Precautions
BEFORE you use ALEVE Liquid Gels talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have or have had:
- asthma or a similar respiratory illness
- nasal polyps
- itchy skin and hives
- history of gastrointestinal disease
- high blood pressure
- a blood clotting disorder
- heart disease/failure
- any other serious disease
OR if you are:
- trying to conceive
- in your first or second trimester of pregnancy
- are nursing
Interactions with this Medication
BEFORE you use ALEVE Liquid Gels talk to your doctor or pharmacist if are taking any other drug especially:
- Anticoagulants (to decrease blood clotting)
- Antihypertensive drugs for your heart (including ACE inhibitors and beta-blockers)
- Diuretics (“water pills”)
- low dose ASA for doctor supervised daily preventative therapy (e.g. ASPIRIN 81mg)
- NSAIDs or other pain medications (e.g. ibuprofen, acetaminophen)
Taking ALEVE Liquid Gels with a meal will delay its absorption.
Proper Use of this Medication
Adults (12-65 years): 1 capsule every 8 - 12 hours. Adults over 65 years 1 capsule every 12 hours. Do not take more than 2 capsules in a 24 hour period. Drink a full glass of water with each dose. Do not use in children under 12 years. Consult a doctor if fever lasts more than 3 days or pain lasts longer than 5 days or if your symptoms change.
|In case of drug overdose, contact a healthcare practitioner (or doctor), hospital emergency department or regional poison control centre, even if there are no symptoms.|
Side Effects and what to do about them
Like all medicines, ALEVE Liquid Gels may occasionally produce unwanted side effects. Stop use and contact a doctor or pharmacist if you experience: heartburn, nausea, vomiting, ringing or buzzing in the ears, bloating, diarrhea or constipation.
This is not a complete list of side effects. For any unexpected effects while taking ALEVE Liquid Gels, contact your doctor or pharmacist.
Serious Side Effects and what to do about them
Stop use and get emergency medical attention IMMEDIATELY if you experience: difficulty breathing, facial swelling, hives, rash or itching.
Stop use and contact a doctor or pharmacist if you experience: black stools, severe abdominal pain, any change in vision or fluid retention.
If you become drowsy, dizzy or lightheaded do not drive or operate machinery and contact your doctor or pharmacist.
How to Store it
CAUTION: This package contains enough drug to seriously harm a child. Keep out of children’s reach.
Store at 20-25°C
Reporting Suspected Side Effects
You can report any suspected adverse reactions associated with the use of health products to the Canada Vigilance Program by one of the following 3 ways:
- Report online at www.healthcanada.gc.ca/medeffect
- Call toll-free at 1-866-234-2345
- Complete a Canada Vigilance Reporting Form and:
- Fax toll-free to 1-866-678-6789, or
- Mail to: Canada Vigilance Program
Postal Locator 0701C
Ottawa, ON K1A 0K9
- Postage paid labels, Canada Vigilance Reporting Form and the adverse reaction reporting guidelines are available on the MedEffect Canada Web site at.
NOTE: Should you require information related to the management of the side effects, please contact your health professional. The Canada Vigilance Program does not provide medical advice.
This document plus the full product monograph, prepared for health professionals can be found at: http://www.bayer.ca.