Akynzeo - Consumer Medicine Information
|Condition:||Nausea/Vomiting, Nausea/Vomiting, Chemotherapy Induced|
|Class:||Antiemetic/antivertigo agents, Miscellaneous antiemetics|
|Ingredients:||netupitant and palonosetron hydrochloride, microcrystalline cellulose, sucrose fatty acid esters, povidone K-30, croscarmellose sodium, purified water, silicon dioxide, sodium stearyl fumarate, magnesium stearate, mono- and di-glycerides of capryl/capric acid, glycerin, polyglyeryl dioleate, butylated hydroxyanisole (BHA), gelatin, sorbitol, titanium dioxide, yellow iron oxide, red iron oxide. AKYNZEO may contain small amounts of medium-chain triglycerides, lecithin, and denatured ethanol.|
What is Akynzeo
AKYNZEO is a prescription medicine called an “antiemetic.” AKYNZEO is used in people to help prevent the nausea and vomiting that happens right away or later with certain anti-cancer medicines (chemotherapy).
It is not known if AKYNZEO is safe and effective in children under 18 years of age.
What Should I Tell My Doctor Before Taking Akynzeo
Before taking AKYNZEO, tell your doctor about all of your medical conditions , including if you:
- have had an allergic reaction to palonosetron or another medicine for nausea or vomiting.
- have liver problems.
- are pregnant or plan to become pregnant. It is not known if AKYNZEO will harm your unborn baby.
- are breastfeeding or plan to breastfeed. It is not known if AKYNZEO passes into your breast milk.
You and your doctor should decide if you will take AKYNZEO or breastfeed. You should not do both.
Tell your doctor about all of the medicines you take, including prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.
How Should I Take Akynzeo
- Take AKYNZEO exactly as your doctor tells you to take it.
- Take 1 AKYNZEO capsule by mouth, about 1 hour before you get your anti-cancer medicine (chemotherapy).
- Take AKYNZEO with or without food.
- If you take too much AKYNZEO, call your doctor or go to the nearest emergency room right away.
What Are the Possible Side Effects of Akynzeo
AKYNZEO may cause serious side effects, including:
- Allergic reactions, such as anaphylaxis. Get emergency medical help right away if you get any of the following symptoms of a serious allergic reaction with AKYNZEO: hives, swollen face, trouble breathing, or chest pain.
- Serotonin s yndrome which can happen with AKYNZEO particularly with certain other medicines such as anti-depressants and anti-migraine medicines and can lead to death. Go to the nearest hospital emergency room right away if you get any of the following symptoms: agitation, hallucinations or other changes in mental status, dizziness, muscle twitching (overactive reflexes), or seizures.
The most common side effects of AKYNZEO are headache, weakness, fatigue, upset stomach, constipation, and skin redness.
These are not all the possible side effects of AKYNZEO. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
How Should I Store Akynzeo
Store AKYNZEO at room temperature between 68 °F to 77 °F (20 °C to 25 °C).
General Information About the Safe And Effective Use of Akynzeo
Medicines are sometimes prescribed for purposes other than those listed in a Patient Information leaflet. Do not use AKYNZEO for a condition for which it was not prescribed. Do not give AKYNZEO to other people, even if they have the same symptoms you have. It may harm them. You can ask your doctor or pharmacist for information about AKYNZEO that is written for health professionals.
What Are The Ingredients in Akynzeo
Active ingredients: netupitant and palonosetron hydrochloride
Inactive ingredients: microcrystalline cellulose, sucrose fatty acid esters, povidone K-30, croscarmellose sodium, purified water, silicon dioxide, sodium stearyl fumarate, magnesium stearate, mono- and di-glycerides of capryl/capric acid, glycerin, polyglyeryl dioleate, butylate hydroxyanisole (BHA), gelatin, sorbitol, titanium dioxide, yellow iron oxide, red iron oxide. AKYNZEO may contain small amounts of medium-chain triglycerides, lecithin, and denatured ethanol.
Manufactured by Helsinn Birex Pharmaceuticals, Dublin, Ireland for Helsinn Healthcare SA, Switzerland
Distributed by Eisai Inc. Woodcliff Lake, NJ 07677 under license of Helsinn Healthcare SA, Switzerland
Marketed by Eisai Inc. Woodcliff Lake, NJ 07677 and Helsinn Therapeutics Inc., Iselin, NJ08830 under license of Helsinn Healthcare SA, Switzerland
AKYNZEO is a registered trademark of Helsinn Healthcare SA, Lugano, Switzerland
2015 Eisai Inc., Woodcliff Lake, NJ 07677 U.S.A. 202999 For more information, go to www.akynzeo.com