Actiq - Instructions for Use
|Condition:||Breakthrough Pain, Chronic Pain, Pain|
|Ingredients:||fentanyl citrate, sugar, citric acid, dibasic sodium phosphate, artificial berry flavor, magnesium stearate, modified food starch, confectioner’s sugar|
Before you use ACTIQ, it is important that you read the Medication Guide and these Patient Instructions for Use. Be sure that you read, understand, and follow these Patient Instructions for Use so that you use ACTIQ the right way. Ask your healthcare provider or pharmacist if you have any questions about the right way to use ACTIQ.
When you get an episode of breakthrough cancer pain, use the dose of ACTIQ prescribed by your healthcare provider as follows:
- You may drink some water before using ACTIQbut you should not drink or eat anything while using ACTIQ.
- Each unit of ACTIQ is sealed in its own blister package (See Figure12). Do not open the blisterpackage until you are ready to use ACTIQ.
- When you are ready to use ACTIQ, cut open the package using scissors, peel back the blister backing, and remove the ACTIQ unit (See Figures 13A and 13B). The end of the unit marked with “ACTIQ” and the strength number of the unit (“200”, “400”, “600”, “800”, “1200”, or “1600”) is the end that is to be placed in your mouth. Hold the ACTIQ unit by the handle (See Figure 14).
- Place ACTIQ in your mouth between your cheeks and gums and actively suck on the medicine.
- Move ACTIQ around in your mouth, especially along the inside of your cheeks (See Figure 15).
- Twirl the handle often.
- Finish the ACTIQ unit completely in 15 minutes to get the most relief. If you finish ACTIQtoo quickly, you will swallow more of the medicine and get less relief.
- Do not bite or chew ACTIQ. You will get less relief for your breakthrough cancer pain.
- If you cannot finish the entire ACTIQ unit and cannot dissolve the medicine under hot tap water right away, immediately put the ACTIQ unit in the temporary storage bottle for safe keeping (See Figure 16).
- Push the ACTIQ unit into the opening on the top until it falls completely into the bottle. You must properly dispose of the ACTIQ unit as soon as you can.
See “How should I dispose of ACTIQ units when they are no longer needed?” for proper disposal of ACTIQ.
This Medication Guide has been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
Frazer, PA 19355